Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Beauty of Hindsight, Grotesque Photographs and Knowing Better than Teenagers...

I think I've been an idiot by telling some people about my upcoming WLS. I really should have kept my mouth shut. I have been somewhat picky with who I tell IRL, because I didn't want to have to deal with negativity. I thought I had selected well, but now I think perhaps not.

MIL, though she can be quite cruel at times, seemed like an okay person to tell. I mean, she would have probably found out anyway, when I wasn't around or was sore after surgery (since we see her often), so I kind of thought telling her outright would be a better idea than having DP (a poor liar) scramble for a semi-decent story to tell her... plus, she'd even mentioned the lapband to me previously, so that, to me, said that she was open to WLS and thus telling her wouldn't be a bad thing.

She hasn't SAID anything nasty, but if I ever mention it, she just grunts... so I've naturally come to the conclusion that she's against it. Perhaps she hates the idea of the sleeve rather than band and that's why, but tbh, I think it's more about the fact that I'm paying for it myself. She tried to tell me I could get a band on Medicare and should do that (can't in Qld - and even if I could, I doubt I'd meet the requirements for it... PLUS I don't want a lapband). So, while she's not vocally objecting, I can tell she's not happy... and I don't know why that matters, but it does.

My neighbour has gone a bit similar, though a bit more subtly. I keep getting suggestions as to how to lose weight in other ways... although the advice is coming from someone who hasn't really ever had weight issues, and doesn't have to watch what she eats or exercise or anything to stay reasonably slim. She KNOWS I'm having surgery soon, so giving me suggestions of diet plans just seems silly to me - what's the point in forking out lots on some fad diet at this stage in the game?

Anyway, I really think I should have just shut up. I don't see my neighbour much other than school mornings and afternoons to drop-off/pick-up kids from the bus stop, so that's not too bad... but I do see MIL regularly, so I would like it if I could not feel judged.

I dunno why she has a problem with me paying for it either - her son isn't paying for it, it's not a loan in HIS name. She probably thinks there are much better things I could use the money on (maybe a car?) and while there are a number of things the money could go towards, I don't think a car is more important than my physical health, or my emotional health either for that matter. I hate not driving, but if I had to choose between driving and losing weight, it's an easy choice. Losing weight would always win.

I need to get some "BEFORE" photos taken as well. Some grotesque ones. You know, undie-shots to show me in all my hideous glory so I can see JUST HOW MUCH I've changed? I might take some clothed ones too in case I'd rather not share my nudity with the world (don't worry, I'll cover up my bits and pieces, but still might not want underwear shots available to all and sundry). I guess I'll see how I feel at the time.

On another note, I've completed my first 2 uni assessments and am currently awaiting my results. I am scared they'll be bad because I've kind of slacked off... but given I saw some of the other student's work in one of my units, I think I'll do a lot better than some of them (who don't even reference properly, despite being sent a message from the tutors telling us how to do it correctly). Most of them are fresh out of school though I suppose, so I guess I SHOULD know better.

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment