Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Eating Out, Eating with Others and Eating at Christmas...

85kg today.

I seem to be stuck at this weight, and can't get BELOW it. Not that I've tried especially hard, so I'm not too bothered right now. 85kg is awesome, and so now I've lost over 22kg.

Not much has happened sleeve-wise... it seems to kinda not matter so much at this stage post-op. The only thing that is really different than everyone elses life, is that I can eat a lot less food, and sometimes that can be a pain in the rear. It's GOOD because it means less chance of gaining weight, but it can also be kind of embarrassing at times, especially when people you're eating with don't understand why you're eating next to nothing (when previously, you'd have eaten all your meal and then want more).

Last week I went shopping with DD, with intentions to see a movie and get a Santa photo. DD wanted lunch, as it was around lunch-time, but instead of the usual food court offerings, she wanted to eat at a cafe. The only real option was The Coffee Club, and so I agreed, reluctantly. I enjoy cafe foods, generally, but I hadn't attempted a cafe meal since my sleeve, so was worried about what I could eat.

In the end, I chose perhaps the cheapest savoury offering I could, and went with some bruschetta. It was topped with a tomato/red onion combo, on toasted turkish bread, with a pesto base. Yum!

It came out in 4 slices... I ate only 1 (well, less than 1 actually). For $11. (there were also a plate of chips for cheaper, but I don't really enjoy hot chips these days) *sigh* I guess wasting food is going to be something I should get used to.

This is the deliciousness that I just couldn't eat.


I gave one triangle to DD, who also had her own meal. I had suggested we share a meal, but she declined, declaring she'd definitely eat all of her food on her own and there wouldn't be any left for me.

I felt really bad leaving that food on the plate, so wrote a note on my serviette, which I left on my plate. It said something about me enjoying the meal, but having had stomach surgery I was just physically unable to eat more. I don't suspect the chef was that bothered - it's unlikely to be some amazing creation of his/her own and rather just a recipe they MUST follow... but I still felt like someone had prepared this for me and they might wonder what was wrong with it. A normal person could have eaten it all, so I offered and explanation regardless.

I also attended a family get-together recently and had to eat a sit-down meal with other people who don't know about my surgery. I had no real issues with them knowing about my sleeve, but my grandparents particularly wouldn't understand and I was worried they'd notice the pitiful amount I was eating and comment, and make me feel awkward. Luckily, probably due to seating (I was on the end, so not surrounded by others), they didn't notice and said nothing. It didn't stop me from stressing the whole way to the get-together though... I kept trying to decide whether I should load my plate up and just eat hardly any of it, or just start with nothing on it to begin with. In the end, I decided on the latter to at least not waste food.

I had about 1/2 a roast chicken thigh, a teaspoon of peas/corn (mixed, not a teaspoon each), a teaspoon of roast potato and two prawns. I'm expecting I'll only be able to eat about this much on Christmas Day as well... but despite this, I have decided to cook quite a lot of food, for variety. Any leftovers, I'll portion up and freeze, so I can enjoy them at later stages. I think a bit of roast beef, for example, will go down well as a protein-heavy lunch meal... so I'm happy that I won't be wasting anything.

I'll definitely share what I managed to eat on Christmas Day after Sunday sometime... I am expecting it to be very little indeed, though I am hoping to get at least a bite of each meat I have on offer... and maybe a mouthful of salad. I'll have...

A large ham
Herb-marinated Roast Beef and Red Wine Jus
Roast Pork with Apple Gravy
Turkey Meatballs with Red Currant Dipping Sauce
Cold Prawns

2 Salad varieties (not sure what yet)

Home-baked dinner rolls

Cheesecake for dessert

This is only for 4 people too... lol. Still, as I said, I wanted variety.


I think that if I manage a mouthful of eat, I'll be very lucky indeed!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh yes I remember eating out with the band and I hated leaving food behind! Luckily, Elliot was young enough to not mind that we shared a meal. Either that or I would coax Mo into finishing mine for me! Terrible! In the end I got into the habit of ordering things I could take with me wrapped in a serviette, though most places did a doggy bag.
    As for meals with others, think about how much attention you pay to what THEY are eating and I bet it is very little (attention that is!) nobody will notice unless you make a fuss. They'll all be too busy stuffing their faces hehe.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete