Thursday, January 05, 2012

Hardly eating and trying a low-carb pasta alternative...

So, dinner's done for another day... so time to add what I've eaten. Today has been a really "unhungry," day for me. Anything I tried to put in just wasn't terribly welcome... my stomach wasn't interested in food today.

My stomach wasn't terribly happy today either... but this has happened since I got my gallbladder out in early 2010 so I don't blame the sleeve. I thought I had IBS... maybe I do...

Anyway, I managed to get about 4 sips of milk today. I was brave and gave it a go. I've got a bit of a cold, so didn't want too much (dairy and colds don't go together so well IMO)... but I didn't feel sick! I am so happy, hopefully this means it'll only get better in time and I'll be back having yoghurts again soon. They're such an easy meal.

I dragged some frozen meatballs out of the freezer too, and reheated those... the turkey meatballs I made for Christmas.  They're just regular meatballs... quite small... maybe 1.5cm in diameter. I managed 4 and a half... it was this recipe, but without the glaze and turned into oven-baked meatballs rather than meatloaf: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/21339/cranberry+turkey+meatloaf

Anyway, I don't think there was anything wrong with them, but maybe I had too much...because about 2 minutes after eating the last bit, I ran to the toilet to be sick.

I had another 1/2 cup of lemonade (again, old-fashioned, not fizzy) and also a bunch of water and cordial.

For dinner, I had a spaghetti bolognaise dish... but as usual, it was full of veges as well. I don't mind veges, but this dish never has any in it, and because it's so filling anyway, I've always added veges to make it healthier. It's a good way to get DP to eat veges too - the bugger is fussy and just leaves them on his plate otherwise.

I also had these:



I found it in the health food aisle at Woolies. Not intentionally, I was just walking past and saw it, and went in for a closer look. I think it's much like the shirataki/miracle noodles that are really hard to get hold of... basically, these are made from some vegetable called "konjac," and are low in calories and carbs. About 2g carbs per serve (a packet is 2 servings).

Not that I'm avoiding carbs really, but I decided the give them a go... and just haven't had cause to use them until now.

So... my dinner turned out like this...



What's in there? The whole dish used 400g lean mince, tin diced tomatoes, 1 really large grated carrot, 1 large grated zucchini, 1 brown onion, 2 cloves crushed garlic (I love garlic), mixed herbs, chopped basil, 1 cup peas, 1 tbsp low salt tomato paste, and a little sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Then of course, the pasta mentioned above.

... and I ate pretty much none of it. My "after" shot looks pretty much the same as the before, so I chose not to bother adding it... because really, I had about 2 small mouthfuls and my stomach told me it was full.

I managed to get a little of the pasta in there though, and while it's not the same as real pasta, it wasn't unpleasant. It's basically like overcooked spaghetti. I prefer penne, but this only comes in angel hair and spaghetti (neither of which I really like even when it's regular pasta)... it doesn't taste like anything, but the texture, as I said, is like overcooked pasta, so if you're avoiding carbs it's probably a good alternative. I'm considering getting another pack and using them as noodles, perhaps in a stir-fry or something, and seeing how they manage. They're a bit softer than noodles, but they might add something... I might as well try.

So basically, a really bad food day. I forgot to weigh myself this morning, so I have no idea where I'm at... so no idea if today and the lack of food will make any difference.... not that it really matters.

Of course, before bed I'll also take my multivitamin.

No comments:

Post a Comment