Thursday, January 19, 2012

The progression from WLS blog to Rockabilly Style Blog...

I'm hovering between low 82 or high 81... this morning it was 82.1kg. Losses are slowing down, but I suspect that's because I might be getting close to a decent weight for myself. The dietician's goal based on body fat percentage was 77kg... so I do think I'm getting close to a good weight to maintain... though I'd personally prefer to be at about 70kg I think. That's only about 12kg away... wow!

Anyway, I'm spending very little time thinking about the sleeve lately... it seems to have become a pretty mundane part of everyday life. It was my fixation last year, but now I'm a bit over it I think. Not over having had it done, just over talking/thinking about it. I'll still provide updates in case anyone's a follower... but this blog seems to have turned into something not strictly about WLS anymore... I seem to ramble on a lot about rockabilly stuff... so if you see it heading in that direction, I think that's just because it's my newest obsession. My weight loss is still an obsession, but as I'm not longer feeling like I'm "too fat," for everything, my size bothers me so much less than it used to, and I'm actually quite happy with how my figure is turning out.

So, speaking of Rockabilly stuff...

I have to talk about my hair! Hair seems to be pretty bloody important with this look, which is really quite a PITA when you're like me and about all you've ever done is straighten your already straight hair, or put it up in a ponytail. That's not because I had no interest in fancy hairstyles... it's just that I SUCK at doing anything to do with hair.

It also doesn't help that my hair dislikes being curled. Intensely. It doesn't hold styles well... a curl will be very weak, so it's more like a messy wave, rather than a curl, and it'll fall out soon after anyway. Thing is, curls and waves are a big part of this style... so I've been paranoid about how I'm gonna look with my normal, boring hair... all dressed up. Like a mis-match really.

ANYWAY... I was fortunate enough to have this shared with me...


For those of you who can't be stuffed watching, but want to know wtf happens... it's basically curling your hair using a headband. Not an alice band... one that goes the full way around... like a stretchy one.

A good way to get vintage-style curls is by pincurling... but that takes AGES. Seriously... it's tedious and boring and I suck at it because it requires some sort of skill of rolling your hair up. I seriously suck at that... but the results the girl in the vid got looked a bit rough, but good enough for me anyway... so I gave it a go last night. All I used was a spray bottle of water, and a stretchy headband of my daughters - apart from not having one myself (all my headbands are alice bands), I figured it'd be a bit tighter and thus hold the curls in better.

Well... this morning...


These are once the curls have been brushed out. They're quite tight and spiral-shaped at first, so you brush and brush and brush till you get a nice shape... much like you'd do with pincurls. In the end, you end up with the above. I've cut my hair since the previous photo of my mug you may have noticed... and it's made victory rolls harder to do because they looked anorexic, and no amount of teasing seemed to help... hence me deciding I needed to figure out another style. That said, I attempted victory rolls with this hair too, and the curls seemed to thicken them up a bit.

My fringe needs a hell of a lot of styling, but I hadn't bothered with that at the time I took the photo. I'm actually a bit sad I even have a fringe... I think this style would look awesome side-parted and without a fringe. When my fringe gets a bit longer, I'll work it into the style a bit better.

I thought I'd share anyway, because this is an awesome way to achieve vintage-inspired curls, and doesn't damage your hair with heat or chemicals (though if you want them to last, you'd probably spray it or something). I've had mine out for half a day so far and they still look as they did above... so seem to last well without a setting spray anyway.

The style you get once your hair is curled up in the band is cute too... though not if you have a fringe (because I had to put the band under my fringe, so it looked a bit stupid...lol). The rolled up back bit was really quite vintage in itself. Think I'll get a hair rat and attempt that look on its own... or maybe pop the band on the top of my head and see if that works... 












1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am also a fan of rockabilly style and retro hairstyles. I like rockabilly style as it is flattering and better than what I can buy in a shopping centre, i like online shops. I am more happier when wearing rockabilly style dresses especially hell bunny style.
    I am a size 14 it would be nice to lose weight but I just like it when i don't look so bloated then i feel more comfortable.
    I love your hair and you have a pretty face.

    ReplyDelete