Monday, August 22, 2011

700g down, my Day 1 Pre-Op Menu and a Ratatouille Epiphany! (lol)

Okay, day 1 of Opti down.

I weighed myself this morning, and 700g gone. That's a lot to lose overnight, especially when I didn't really sleep much... but as I've said previously (I think?) I tend to lose 4kg really easily, and then that's it. It stops. So let's see what happens over the upcoming days until my surgery.

I cheated yesterday too. I'd heard that my doctor had told another patient not to bother with Opti... and I remembered my appointment with him. He didn't seem all that fussed, and I actually had to ask him how long I should even be on it... he was like, "Well... maybe 2 weeks?" but the way he said it sounded very, "Meh, I don't care either way." I had decided to go on it regardless.

Well, when I heard that he'd told another patient (she'll be having her surgery same day as me, by the same surgeon) not to bother, I was thinking that maybe I wouldn't have to either. After all, I'm not as heavy as some sleeve patients, so maybe I'd be expempt? I sent an eMail asking, and then called up too... no reply as the office was empty. I left a message... and then went and had a "celebratory sandwich." I had stupidly assumed that he'd tell me not to bother too, and I was just waiting for the official go-ahead to eat normally (though I planned to eat lightly - just not following Opti).

He gave me a call and told me to stick to Opti... so I did. I had my Opti meals, PLUS a ham sandwich... but it was day 1 and I was stupid... so now I'm back to doing it properly. A bit peeved that I have to do this, but meh, it's what you've got to do. I only wish Opti wasn't so foul-tasting.

Here's what I ate yesterday...
*Chocolate Optifast shake - made me feel queasy, and I left about 1/4 in the cup
*Optifast Bar (the one that isn't berry-flavoured) - DISGUSTING but I ate it all regardless. It's like thick, wet, chewy cardboard covered in wax that looks like chocolate.
*1/2 Optifast chocolate pudding - tasty, but too rich to eat all of it, I'm not a sweet-food fan.
*About 7 small mushrooms sauteed in garlic
*Mug of Miso soup - so like broth really
*Water and Diet Red Cordial

I went shopping today and grabbed a few veges and dressings and such so I can actually eat... I found my mushrooms the most delightful part of my day (food-wise) yesterday, so I'm thinking that's where I'm going to have to find the most enjoyment. Not that you can really enjoy boring veges all that much, but maybe a little salad with some balsamic, or some stir-fried veg with a little soy sauce, or even a homemade chunky soup will be good. If I come up with anything nice-ish, I'll share it here.

I'm thinking of trying to make a tomato veg "pasta sauce," similar to what I use when I'm making bolognaise, but without the meat really... and then popping that on top of some other veges... maybe some slivers of zucchini or mushrooms. It'd be good on eggplant if you like eggplant... I don't.

OH! I just realised - RATATOUILLE! I might make that too. Minus the eggplant. Ratatouille is yummy and from the top of my head, it should be easy enough to make Pre-Op friendly. So yay! Glad I blogged this or else I wouldn't have even thought of that. lol.

Well, like I said, if I come up with anything interesting, I'll share it. It's not going to be anything a normal person would want to eat, but it might be useful to someone on their pre-op diet... especially since some people seem to have to be on those for far longer than 2 weeks (you have my sympathies).

No comments:

Post a Comment